Victorian Turkish baths directory

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline
Visit the original page to see it complete—with its chronologies and notes

Original page
Other area & user lists

B. Arranged by special types of user

 

Turkish baths in hydropathic establishments (hydros)

Table last updated: 05 July 2017

Known opening and closing dates are indicated in the table. All articles include a chronology, though these do not appear in the version of the site without frames.

Dates in blue  are accurate openings or closures to the best of our knowledge;
Dates in maroon  are first and last sightings;
Plus or minus signs  indicate 'and later' or 'and earlier'.

When one or both of the icons on the left of the table appear in red, this indicates that there is an article, notes, chronology, or stand-alone captioned image relating to the establishment. Clicking on the left hand icon []] takes you to the relevant page on the site; clicking on the right hand icon [] takes you to the no-frames version of the page. When there is no icon on the right, the page, consisting only of a chronology, is not available in the no-frames version.

If you have access to local newspapers or specialist journals and can add, amend, or correct any dates, please do contact us.

   
[]] [] ABERDEEN: Lochhead Hydropathic Establishment1860—1868 1860—1868
[]] [] BATH: Limpley Stoke 1862—1939
[]] [] BLACKPOOL: Imperial Hydro, Claremont Park 1884—1902+
[]] [] BLARNEY (Co.Cork, Ireland): St Ann(e)'s Hydro
   Dr Richard Barter built the first Victorian Turkish Bath in the British
   Isles here, with the help of David Urquhart
1856—1952
[]] [] BOSCOMBE: Linden Hall, Christchurch Road 1920s
[]] [] BOWDEN: Malvern House, Langhorne Road 1898
[]] [] BOWNESS: Windermere Hydro, Biskey Howe 1881—1909+
[]] [] BRAY (Co.Wicklow, Ireland): Delganey Hydropathic Establishment 1864—1870
[]] [] BRIDGE OF ALLAN: Hydropathic Establishment 1862—1886+
[]] [] CATERHAM: Godstone Road, Surrey Hills Hydro & Turkish Baths 1898—c.1927
[]] [] CLEVEDON: Clevedon Hydropathic Establishment 1895
[]] [] DUNBLANE: Philp's Dunblane Hydropathic Establishment 1878—1936
[]] [] EDINBURGH: Craiglockhart Hydro, Colinton 1880—c.1915
[]] [] EDINBURGH: Sciennes Hill Hydropathic Establishment, Newington 1861—1871
[]] [] FORRES: Cluny Hill Hydropathic Establishment 1864—1874+
[]] [] GLENBROOK (Co.Cork, Ireland): Dr Curtin's Hydropathic Establish-
   ment
1858—1870s
[]] [] HARROGATE: Connaught Hydro, Connaught Road 1886—1899
[]] [] HARROGATE: Cairn Hydropathic Establishment, Duchy Road 1892—1899
[]] [] HARROGATE: Harlow Manor, Harlow Manor Road 1893—1899+
[]] [] HARROGATE: Harrogate Hydropathic Establishment, Swan Road 1878—c.1950
[]] [] HASTINGS: Hastings Hydro and Spa, Old London Road 1884, 1894
[]] [] HASTINGS: Metcalfe's Hydro: Wellington Square 1890—1897
[]] [] HELENSBURGH: Shandon Hydropathic Establishment
[]] [] HEXHAM: Hexham Hydro, Westfield House 1878—c.1914
[]] [] ILKLEY: Ben Rhydding Hydro, Ben Rhydding 1859—1939
[]] [] ILKLEY: Craiglands Hydro (later Hotel) 1860s, 1938
[]] [] KILMACOLM: Kilmalcolm Hydro —1882
[]] [] LEAMINGTON: Arboretum Hydro, Tachbrook Road 1863—1866+
[]] [] LLANDUDNO: Llandudno Hydropathic Establishment, The Parade 1872—1905
[]] [] LONDON: Beulah Spa, Beulah Hill, Upper Norwood 1859—1913+
[]] [] LONDON: Metcalfe's London Hydro, Richmond Hill 1898—1919+
[]] [] LONDON: New Barnet: Graffenberg House, Station Road 1863—1878
[]] [] LONDON: Paddington Green Hydro, Paddington Green (11) 1859—1897
[]] [] MATLOCK: Rockside Hydropathic Establishment 1862—1946
[]] []
[]
[]
MATLOCK BANK: Smedley's Hydropathic Establishment 1859—1950s
[]] [] MOFFAT: Hydro Hotel 1878—1921
[]] [] PETERSHAM: Sudbrook Park 1861
[]] [] ROTHESAY: Paterson's Hydropathic Establishment and Turkish baths 1862—
[]] [] SKELMORLIE:Wemyss Bay Hydropathic Establishment: Turkish
   baths
1877—
[]] [] SOUTHPORT: Limes Hydro, Bath Street (51 & 53) 1876—1939
[]] [] SOUTHPORT: Smedley's Hydro, Trafalgar Road (23), Birkdale Park c.1880s—1909+
[]] [] SOUTHPORT: Sunnyside Hydro, The Promenade Extension 1901—1905
[]] [] TEMPLEMORE: Barnane Hydropathic & Turkish Bath Establishment 1865—
[]] [] TUNBRIDGE WELLS: Bishop's Down Spa Hydropathic Sanatorium 1878—1916+
[]] [] WALTON-ON-THAMES: Hydropathic Establishment 1858
 
 
Thank you icon


Anne Hawkesworth for information about Ilkley
John Palmer for the link to his Smedley's brochure


Top of the list     Top of the page


Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988