Ammunition store discovered in Irish Turkish bath

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it complete—with images, notes, and chronologies

Original page

The secret of an unidentified Turkish bath in Cork

It is not possible to determine which Turkish bath in Cork is referred to in this intriguing cutting from the 5 August 1870 issue of the Illustrated Berwick Journal.

Ammunition cutting

Ardruanagh Passage is absent from current Google maps, and the nearby road is not named. But we can hgazard a guess. Of the six Turkish baths in Cork listed in the Victorian Turkish Baths website, five had either not yet opened or were opened earlier and still in operation in 1870.

The only one which had closed by 1870 was the one at 30-31 Blarney Lane. This was opened in 1861 by Mr Joseph Hegarty, and was called City View Turkish Baths, but no further mention of it has so far been found after 1863

If you can add to this—or even correct it—please let us know.

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988