Victorian Turkish baths directory

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline
Visit the original page to see it complete—with its chronologies and notes

Original page
Other area & user lists

A. Arranged by place

 

III. Turkish baths in Scotland

Table last updated: 20 August 2017

This table lists stand-alone Turkish bath establishments alphabetically by place.

Additional establishments in this country are included in separate tables listing Turkish baths which are part of other establishments, ie, in Animals, Clubs, Hospitals, Houses, and Hydros.

Known opening and closing dates are indicated in the table.place. All articles include a chronology, though these do not appear in the version of the site without frames.

Dates in blue  are accurate openings or closures to the best of our knowledge;
Dates in maroon  are first and last sightings;
Plus or minus signs  indicate 'and later' or 'and earlier'.

When one or both of the icons on the left of the table appear in red, this indicates that there is an article, notes, or chronology relating to the establishment. Clicking on the left hand icon []] takes you to the relevant page on the site; clicking on the right hand icon  [] takes you to the no-frames version of the page. When there is no icon on the right, the page, consisting only of a chronology, is not available in the no-frames version.

If you have access to local newspapers and can add, amend, or correct any dates, please do contact us.

   
[]] [] ABERDEEN: Bath St (1), Bath Hotel 1888—1900
[]] [] ABERDEEN: Crown Street (28½) 1877—1878
[]] [] ABERDEEN: George Street (49½) 1886—1889
[]] [] ABERDEEN: George Street (77) 1886—1893
[]] [] ABERDEEN: Justice Mill Lane 1940—2008
[]] [] ALLOA: Primrose Street 1898—1965
[]] [] BRIDGE OF ALLAN: [adjoining the Wells] 1862—1886
[]] [] CLYDEBANK: Bruce Street 1932—1960s
[]] [] DUNDEE: West Protection Wall 1871—1974
[]] [] DUNDEE: Yeaman Shore (13) 1864—1879
[]] [] DUNFERMLINE: Pilmuir Street 1905—2008
[]] [] DUNFERMLINE: Schoolend Street 1877—1905
[]] [] EDINBURGH: Cockburn Street (17) 1873—1892
[]] [] EDINBURGH: Hope Street ( later Casselbank Street, off Leith Walk ) 1872—1915
[]] [] EDINBURGH: Portobello Esplanade / The Promenade (57)
   Still open
1901
[]] [] EDINBURGH: Princes Street
   The baths may not have been open during the whole of this period
1861—1920
[]] [] EDINBURGH: South Clerk Street (76) 1865—
[]] [] EDINBURGH: Stafford Street (12), West End 1886—1915
[]] [] EDINBURGH: Thirlestane Street (17) 1907—1929+
[]] [] EDINBURGH: Whitfield Place 1870—1871
[]] [] FORRES: Gordon Street 1881
[]] [] GLASGOW: Argyle Street (366)
   The baths may not have been open during the whole of this period
1861—1908
[]] [] GLASGOW: Ashtree Road, Pollockshaws 1927—1971
[]] [] GLASGOW: Bath Street 1881—1903
[]] [] GLASGOW: Calder Street (99), Govanhill 1917—1990
[]] [] GLASGOW: Elvan Street (86), Shettleston 1929—1971
[]] [] GLASGOW: London Street (105) 1881—1884
[]] [] GLASGOW: Medwyn Street, Whiteinch 1926—1995
[]] [] GLASGOW: Sauchiehall Street (15/47) 1861—1885
[]] [] GLASGOW: Sauchiehall Street (92) 1886—1889
[]] [] GLASGOW: West Campbell Street (130) 1870—1872
[]] [] GLASGOW: West Nile Street (106) 1860—1865?
[]] [] GLASGOW: Whitevale Street / East John Street 1902—1988
[]] [] GREENOCK: Campbell Street 1879—1914
[]] [] INVERNESS: 1889
[]] [] KILMARNOCK: John Dickie Street (5) 1879—1911
[]] [] MOTHERWELL: 1983
[]] [] PAISLEY: Storie Street (50) 1875—1888+
1896—1915
[]] [] PERTH: Mill Street
   Closed some time before 1914
1863—
[]] [] PETERHEAD: Lodge Walk
   Closed early 1980s
1899—
[]] [] PETERHEAD: Marischal Street 187?—1914
[]] [] PETERHEAD: St Peter Street 18??—
      
  

Top of the list     Top of the page


Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988