Pilgrim Street Turkish Baths Company Limited

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Visit the original page to see it in its context and with any included images or notes

Original page

To the companies list

Pilgrim Street Turkish Baths Company Limited
Company baths: NEWCASTLE: Pilgrim Street

Companies House files destroyed

This short-lived company ceased to exist some time before 2 August 1872, after being in existence for just a few months. A new company, The Newcastle-upon-Tyne Turkish Bath Company Limited, was formed and five of the Pilgrim Street directors became directors of the new company, while Fred Robertson Goddard became its Secretary.

Without the files destroyed by Companies House it is difficult to establish why the company never traded—whether it over-reached itself financially, or whether there was a disagreement amongst the directors. But the most likely explanation is that the initial amount of capital raised was seen to be insufficient. In order to be able to build a Turkish bath in Pilgrim Street, a financial reconstruction would have been deemed necessary.

1872 Directors include:
Borries, Theodore
Cowen, Sir Joseph, MP
Gibb, Charles John, MD
Hunt, A H
Joicey, John, Lieut.-Col.
Potter, Addison (Mayor of Newcastle)
Stewart, William
Stevenson, Alexander Shannon
Walker, E J
Secretary: Fred Robertson Goddard
Registered Office: 3 St Nicholas Buildings

This page last updated 04 November 2018

The original page includes one or more footnotes.


Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

©  Malcolm Shifrin, 1991-2022