The Jermyn Street Hammam:
the refurbished cooling-room, c.1908

Cooling-room pre-1920
< Photo: Courtesy Wiltshire and Swindon Archives WSA 1915/220

The Hammam cooling-room (meshlak), probably taken in 1908, shortly after completion of the extension of the baths and republished in a brochure around the beginning of the 1920s. The extension was designed by the London architect Ernest Fletch.

Looking south towards the glass-covered arch, the plunge pool can be seen continuing underneath it into the hararah (first hot room) beyond.

Also to be seen are the new cubicles directly over the original ones.

This page first published 01 January 2023

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

Sexual activity in the Jermyn Street Hammam

Top of the page

Logo

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

 
Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

  Malcolm Shifrin, 1991-2023