The Royal York Baths, London

Royal York Baths
< Shepherd, Thomas H 'Royal York Baths, Regent's Park, 1828' In: Elmes, James Metropolitan Improvements, or, London in the Nineteenth Century (Jones, 1829)

The Royal York Baths were originally opened in 1820. Turkish baths were added around 1865 when the new proprietor, V A Jagielski, renamed them the Royal York Turkish baths.

They were bought by the Nevill's chain in 1912, but closed four years later. The façade of the building is still extant.

This page enlarges an image or adds to the information found below:

London's first Victorian Turkish bath. Part 3: The first in London

Top of the page


Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Home pageSite mapSearch the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to:
The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

©  Malcolm Shifrin, 1991-2023