Victorian Turkish baths directory
   

                           

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

        

                

 

       
A. Arranged by place
       
II: Turkish baths in Scotland

Last updated: 20 March 2017
           

This table lists stand-alone Turkish bath establishments alphabetically by place.

Additional establishments in this country are included in separate tables listing Turkish baths which are part of other establishments, ie, in Animals, Clubs, Hospitals, Houses and Hydros

Known opening and closing dates are indicated in the table, as is the existence of more detailed chronologies. All articles include a chronology. However, please note that chronologies do not appear in the version of the site without frames.

Dates in blue are accurate openings or closures to the best of our knowledge;
Dates in red are first and last sightings.
Plus or minus signs indicate 'and later' or 'and earlier'. 

If you have access to local newspapers and can add, amend, or correct any dates, please do contact us.

                       

Scotland

ABERDEEN: Bath St (1), Bath Hotel

   1888—1900
  Chronology

ABERDEEN: Crown Street (28½)

1877—

ABERDEEN: George Street (49½)

1886—1889
Chronology

ABERDEEN: George Street (77)

1886—1893
Chronology

ABERDEEN: Justice Mill Lane

1940-2008
Chronology

ALLOA: Primrose Street

1898—1965
Article

BRIDGE OF ALLAN: [adjoining the Wells]

1862—1886
Chronology & image

DUNDEE: West Protection Wall

1871—1974
Article

DUNDEE: Yeaman Shore (13)

1864—1879
Chronology & image

DUNFERMLINE: Pilmuir Street

1905—2008
Article

DUNFERMLINE: Schoolend Street

1877—1905

EDINBURGH: Cockburn Street (17)

1873—1892
Chronology

EDINBURGH: Hope Street ( later Casselbank Street, off Leith Walk )

1872—1915
Chronology

EDINBURGH: Portobello Esplanade / The Promenade (57)

1901   Still open

EDINBURGH: Princes Street (90)

* 1861—1920
    Short article

EDINBURGH: South Clerk Street (76)

1865—

EDINBURGH: Stafford Street (12), West End

1886—1915
Short article

EDINBURGH: Thirlestane Street (17)

1907—1929+

EDINBURGH: Whitfield Place

1870—1871
Chronology

GLASGOW: Argyle Street (366)

* 1861—1908
  Chronology

GLASGOW: Ashtree Road, Pollockshaws

1927—1971

GLASGOW: Bath Street

1881—1903
Chronol, notes, image

GLASGOW: Calder Street (99), Govanhill

1917—1990

GLASGOW: Elvan Street (86), Shettleston

1929—1971

GLASGOW: London Street (105)

1881—1884

GLASGOW: Medwyn Street, Whiteinch

1926—1995

GLASGOW: Sauchiehall Street (15/47)

1861—1885
Chronology

GLASGOW: Sauchiehall Street (92)

1886—1889
Chronology

GLASGOW: West Campbell Street (130)

1870—1872
Chronology

GLASGOW: West Nile Street (106)

1860—1865?

GLASGOW: Whitevale Street / East John Street

1902—1988
Chronology

GREENOCK: Campbell Street

1879—1914

INVERNESS:

1889

KILMARNOCK: John Dickie Street (5)

1879—1911
Chronology

PAISLEY: Storie Street (50)

1875—1888+
1896—1915

PAISLEY: Storie Street

1896—1915

PETERHEAD: Lodge Walk

1899—early 1980s

PETERHEAD: Marischal Street

187?—1914
Chronology

PETERHEAD: St Peter Street

18??—
Chronology

   

 * This establishment may not have been open during the whole of the period indicated

                         

 
 


The original page includes a thumbnail picture which can be enlarged.
An enlargement can also be found at:

Dressing room in the Turkish Baths at the Carnegie Institute in Dunfermline

Back to top of the Table

Top of the page
                   

 

All complete pages,
with images, footnotes,
glossary & bibliography,
can be reached from the

Printer-friendly single frame
versions of all text pages
(and from them, all images)
can be reached from the

You can bookmark this page

Home Page

You can print this page

Site Map

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to:

malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org

The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted by him
in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988