Victorian Turkish baths directory

This is a single frame, printer-friendly page taken from Malcolm Shifrin's website
Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development, and gradual decline
Visit the original page to see it complete—with images, notes, and chronologies

Original page

A. Arranged by place

 

III. Turkish baths in Ireland

Table last updated: 08 June 2017

This table lists stand-alone Turkish bath establishments alphabetically by place.

Additional establishments in this country are included in separate tables listing Turkish baths which are part of other establishments, ie, in Asylums, Hospitals, Private houses, Hydros, Workhouses, together with Turkish baths designed for use by Animals.

Known opening and closing dates are indicated in the table.place. All articles include a chronology, though these do not appear in the version of the site without frames.

Dates in blue  are accurate openings or closures to the best of our knowledge;
Dates in maroon  are first and last sightings;
Plus or minus signs  indicate 'and later' or 'and earlier'.

When one or both of the icons on the left of the table appear in red, this indicates that there is an article, notes, or chronology relating to the establishment. Clicking on the left hand icon []] takes you to the relevant page on the site; clicking on the right hand icon [] takes you to the no-frames version of the page. When there is no icon on the right, the page, consisting only of a chronology, is not available in the no-frames version.

If you have access to local newspapers and can add, amend, or correct any dates, please do contact us.


[]] [] ARMAGH: English Street, Charlemont Arms Hotel 1864—1896
[]] [] BELFAST: Arthur Street (43) 1886—1902
[]] [] BELFAST: Donegall Street (112) 1860—1936
[]] [] BRAY: Quinsborough Road 1859—1864
1867—1870 (?)
[]] [] CARLOW: Burrin Street: Yellow Lion Hotel Turkish Baths 1873
[]] [] CORK: Blarney Lane (30-31) 1860—1863
[]] [] CORK: Grenville Place (8)
   This was the first Turkish bath to open to the public in Ireland
1858—1893
[]] [] CORK: Maylor Street (15) 1863—1894
[]] [] CORK: Nelson's Close / Nelson's Place 1871—1894
[]] [] CORK: South Mall (30) 1891—1943+
[]] [] CORK: Warren's Place (22) 1867—1883
[]] [] DOWNPATRICK: English Street (15) 1861—1863
[]] [] DUBLIN: Grafton Street (97-9): Maskora Turkish Baths 1935—1937
[]] [] DUBLIN: Leinster Street (11) 1882—1912
[]] [] DUBLIN: Lincoln Place 1860—1900
[]] [] DUBLIN: Lower Temple Street 1859—1880
[]] [] DUBLIN: Mountjoy Square 1862, 1863
[]] [] DUBLIN: Sackville Street (now O'Connell Street) 1863
[]] [] DUBLIN: Stephen's Green North (3) 1889—1902
[]] [] DUBLIN: Stephen's Green West (127) 1878—1933
[]] [] DUBLIN: Thomas's Lane: The People's Bath 1872—
[]] [] DUBLIN: Upper Rathmines (50) 1860—1862
[]] [] DUBLIN: Upper Sackville Street (now Upper O'Connell Street) 1869—1922
[]] [] DUNGANNON: Devonshire Square 1886
[]] [] DUNGARVAN: Barrack Lane 1897, 1901
[]] [] ENNIS: Mill Road
   This is a major article on the baths by Peter Beirne
1870—1878
[]] [] GLENBROOK (Co.Cork): Victoria Baths and Family Hotel 1858—1863
[]] [] KILKENNY: John's Quay 1873—1910+
[]] [] KILLARNEY: [near the railway station] 1859—1863+
[]] [] LIMERICK: Cecil Street (8) -1861+
[]] [] LIMERICK: Military Road (now, O'Connell Avenue) 1860—1891
[]] [] LIMERICK: Sarsfield Street (15) (late Brunswick Street) 1887—1927
[]] [] NEWCASTLE: Slieve Donard Hotel 1898—
[]] [] NEWRY: 1888—1890
[]] [] SLIGO: Finisklin Road 1861-1862
1863-1870
[]] [] SNEEM: Parknasilla Hotel Turkish Baths 1896—
[]] [] TIPPERARY:  Turkish Baths 1872—
[]] [] TIPPERARY: East Main Street (42) 1886—1894
[]] [] TRAMORE: Strand Street 1894—1906+
[]] [] WATERFORD: Hardy's Road / South Parade 1859—1928
[]] [] YOUGHAL: The Mall 1868
Thank you icon

Peter Beirne
Chris Brady
K M Davies

 
Top of the listTop of the page
 






























Top of the list

Top of the page
 
 

Other area & user lists

Top of the page


Logo panel

Victorian Turkish Baths: their origin, development,
and gradual decline

Home page Site map Search the site

Comments and queries are most welcome and can be sent to: 
malcolm@victorianturkishbath.org
 

 

The right of Malcolm Shifrin to be identified as the author of this work
has been asserted by him in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988